The art museum is a fantastic place to visit as a family. Make memories as you explore new spaces, talk about works of art, and spend time together. Below you’ll find tips to ensure a fun and successful family outing to the Museum and resources provided by OKCMOA to enhance your visit.
TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFUL VISIT
- Prepare for your visit: Talk about what you will see and do before you visit. Ask your children to find a few works of art on the website that they would like to see in the galleries. Watch their faces light up when they find their chosen work of art in person.
- Set Expectations: Do you plan to spend the entire day at the museum or just a few hours? Are you going to explore the galleries or to see a specific exhibition?
- Review Museum Guidelines: Either at home, or when you arrive, review our simple Museum guidelines:
- Help us protect the art, please don’t touch, and remember to stand a safe distance from the art. Look for the black lines on the floor in the galleries for a reminder.
- Take as many pictures as you’d like, but remember to turn off the flash.
- No food or drink is allowed in the gallery. Feel free to take a break and have a snack on the landings on each floor.
- Stay together as a group. Children under 17 should be accompanied by an adult.
- Feel free to sit on the floor in the galleries, but please don’t lean on the pedestals or the walls.
- You’ll see Gallery Attendants in the galleries during your visit. They are here to keep visitors and the art safe. They are also here to help you if you need assistance. Our Gallery Attendants are friendly, so wave hello!
- Walk and Talk: Walk slowly through the galleries and stop at works of art that catch your children’s attention. You don’t have to be an art historian to talk about art with your children. Ask questions and share your thoughts. Discuss:
- Why do you like this work of art?
- How do you think it was made?
- Does it remind you of something familiar, like a book or a movie that you like?
- Does it remind you of something you’ve learned in school, in history or english class?
- Play Games: Make up your own games, like “I-Spy,” or play one of the gallery games from the “Be Your Own Guide” booklet or the Kid’s Labels (more information below).
- Record Your Visit: Encourage children to record moments from their visit by writing, sketching, or taking their own pictures. Bring your own journal or sketchbook or use the paper and pencils provided in our Discovery Packs (more information below). Remember that pencils and paper are the only art-making materials allowed in the galleries. Please leave paint, markers, or any other wet media at home.
- Be Flexible: Avoid trying to see and do everything. Enjoy getting to know a few works of art or a few galleries together. Museum fatigue happens to adults and children. Take breaks if needed.
- Call it a Day: Stay aware of your group’s energy level. Call it a day if the kiddos are pooped. You can always come back and to OKCMOA again to see new things and visit your favorites.
FUN IN THE GALLERIES
Check out the following resources that help to make your visit even more engaging. Have questions or suggestions? Contact us at email@example.com.
Discover a new world at OKCMOA with fun, hands-on gallery learning! Pick up a pack for free and create your own gallery adventure. Sketch, read, learn about artists, and more. Discovery packs are FREE to check out when you visit the Museum and can be returned to the front desk after your visit! Click here for more information about the Discovery Packs.
Explore the galleries together using the OKCMOA Kids Labels. Located on the walls in select galleries, Kids Labels encourage you to look closely and talk about works of art together.
BE YOUR OWN GUIDE
The Be Your Own Guide booklet includes everything you need to lead your group in exploring the Museum and talking about works of art together, including Gallery Games, Museum guidelines, how to read a label, and more. Click the link above to download a copy, then print the booklet at home or request a hard-copy from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join a teaching artist select Sundays from 1-4 pm and create your own work of art inspired by the Museum’s collection. All ages are welcome and no advance registration is required. Studio Sundays are included with general Museum admission and free for members. Click here to view upcoming dates.
WORKSHOPS, CLASSES, AND PROGRAMS
Join us for a variety of family-friendly workshops, classes, and programs, click each link for more information:
FAMILY FRIENDLY OKCMOA
Strollers are welcome throughout the Museum. Umbrella strollers are available to check out for FREE. Ask a Visitor Services staff member for assistance.
Changing Tables are located in all restrooms except for our Mezzanine restrooms.
Private Family Restroom is located on the first floor in the coat check room. Public restrooms are located on each floor, directly across from the elevators.
Nursing Moms are welcome in all spaces. If you would like a more private space to nurse, please ask a Visitor Services staff member.
Please check large bags. Lockers are available in coat check.
Food and drink are not allowed in the galleries, but are welcome in the first floor lobby areas and on the landings on each floor.
Accessibility is a top priority at OKCMOA. Click here for more information.
Need a quiet space? Ask a Visitor Services staff member!
Photography without a flash is welcome in all spaces of the Museum. Share your photos with us using #okcmoa.