The vision of a permanent museum of art in Oklahoma City was realized in 1945, with the incorporation of the Oklahoma Art Center (now the Oklahoma City Museum of Art). The collection, which began with the collecting efforts of its predecessor, the Oklahoma Art League, includes paintings, prints, photographs, and sculptures, with strengths in European and American art of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Artists represented include Alexander Calder, Gustave Courbet, Francis Hayman, Ellsworth Kelly, Henry Moore, Georgia O’Keeffe, Charles Willson Peale, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Richard Tuttle, and Anne Truitt.
Major collections include the Works Progress Administration Collection, the Raymond and Verna Young Collection, the Washington Gallery of Modern Art Collection, the Westheimer Family Collection, and the Dorothy and Herbert Vogel Collection: 50 Gifts for 50 States. The Museum’s collection also includes a large installation of art glass by Dale Chihuly, featured in the third floor galleries.